Pioneering lower-trophic fisheries with innovations to unlock the blue bioeconomic potential.
SFI Harvest is a research-based innovation centre for developing new technology aimed at solving the global challenges of securing enough food for a growing population, in a sustainable way.
Enabling Norway to lead the technological development for the mesopelagic and low-trophic fisheries, creating new global market opportunities for the centre's industrial partners. The technologies developed will also support crossover solutions for today's commercial fisheries and for challenges like removing plastics from the oceans.
- Conduct fundamental and applied research to close key knowledge gaps and enable responsible commercial utilization of underexploited marine resources.
- Develop new competitive technologies to strengthen Norway’s global leading position in fisheries and marine knowledge expertise, and technology.
- Establish profitable biomarine value chains and business models which are evaluated according to social, biological, and economical sustainability requirements.
- Explore cross-over applications to enable detection and collection of plastic and other pollution materials in the ocean.
- Build knowledge and competence capacity through educating at least 10 PhD candidates, 3 post docs and 20 MSc candidates.